Monday, February 23, 2009

How I Got My Name

I've had people comment that I think I'm "all that," but once they hear about how I got my name, they realize that I truly have a great Quarter Horse pedigree. My real name, Triple Noble Chick, is after my great-grandsire, Triple Chick, who was a very important sire in Quarter Horsedom. His sire was Three Bars, and anybody who knows anything about Quarter Horses knows that that is a big deal. His mom (dam) was Chicado V, who was an important mare. My sire's name was Chick Watcher (which is a pretty cool name). He was a racing Quarter Horse, and was awarded a Register of Merit in 1978 by the AQHA. He had 3 wins in a 17-race career, and sired 27 foals, including me and a full sister named Noble Spring Chick. Chick Watcher's great-grandsire was Go Man Go, who I think was a pretty good racehorse.

My mother's name was Quesera, and her sire's name was Noble Request, which explains the other part of my name. Both Chick Watcher and Quesera lived on the M&M Ranch in Montana where I was born in 1980. I was Quesera's first baby. My grand-sire Noble Request was also a racer, who won the Indiana Derby in 1971. With all the racing genes in my family tree, I think they were hoping I was going to be a fast horse. Actually, in my younger days, I was pretty fast. Even in my late teens I could catch Leora (a big off-the-track TB) when she had a head start.

Back to my family tree, my mom's side has some interesting names. Her grand-sire was Tonto Bars Gill (who was sired by Three Bars, too). Joe Reed II was a great-grandsire of hers, as was Question Mark. So for all those who think I act like I'm queen of the world, I can back it up. I'm not just some old mare - I am Quarter Horse royalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment